sigsegv's improved MvM server
What this is
A Team Fortress 2 Mann vs Machine dedicated server with various unofficial fixes and tweaks applied, plus custom missions.
My primary goal is to make a better overall MvM experience by fixing and tweaking the game mode in various small ways, addressing many of the bugs, annoyances, and inconsistencies that affect the game mode.
How to play
Use this convenient Steam link or manually connect from console:
Important: You need to make sure that TF2 is set to "allow all custom files from server" in the Multiplayer tab of the game settings. Otherwise, stuff may not work.
To spectate with SourceTV, use this Steam link or manually connect from console:
It costs me about $20/month to keep the server running. I don't put ads on my server or on my YouTube videos; everything I do is essentially a free service for the community.
But if you would like to show your appreciation and help contribute toward the costs of running the server, you can do so using the PayPal donation button below.
Custom pop file features
Various custom pop file features are supported on the server. Here's the documentation for all currently supported custom features.
List of fixes, tweaks, mods, etc.
- Arrows (Huntsman, Crossbow, Rescue Ranger) don't break when penetrating uber players
- Uber medics no longer lose their invulnerability if they uber before leaving spawn
- Sentry simulation frequency increased by 3x (partial fix for sentry firing speed)
- Minigun firing speed no longer aliases/rounds based on server tickrate
[video] (disabled: buggy)
- Explosive headshot no longer causes server-crashing damage cascades
- Mini-sentries no longer stay at 50% health when built pre-wave
- Giant soldier crit firing sound precache error fixed
- Red-Tape Recorder no longer makes tele icon stay active in wave status panel
- Engiebot's AI is now smart enough to unsap RTR'd buildings
- Red credits that fall into trigger_hurt entities are no longer double-collected
- Gib kills work, and no longer result in floating dead bodies and disembodied cosmetics
- Cow Mangler and medic shield kills versus giants no longer cause small ragdolls to appear
- Character upgrades are no longer un-sellable during wave 1
- Bots can now be given multi-class items without errors (e.g. items of class "saxxy" or "tf_weapon_shotgun")
- Bots in medieval mode are now free to use non-melee weapons (e.g. huntsman, crossbow, cleaver)
- The wave start countdown is properly reset when the wave is restarted so that the next wave won't start unexpectedly
- Sentry Busters will no longer get forced into "chase people and caber them" mode after a wave loss
- Properly precache the MvM level sound script overrides (fixes extinguish, flare impact, razorback sounds not playing)
- Disallow Sydney Sleeper to trigger explosive headshot on ubered targets
- Explosive Headshot enabled on Ambassador (level 1)
- Explosive Headshot enabled on Huntsman (level 1)
- Engineer bot spawn/build push force removed
- Robot Holiday Punch tickling resistance removed
- Sniper Rifle charge rate cap removed
- Human death yells re-enabled
- Ambassador headshots drop red credits
- Giant instant building stomp ability removed
- Building health upgrades apply to disposable sentries
- Robot head sliding push force removed
- Gibbing enabled for non-giant robots that have gib models
- Your Eternal Reward robot-specific nerfs disabled
- Medic bot AI has been tweaked so that they will intentionally heal teammates by shooting at them with the crossbow
- Tanks will now destroy blu buildings that they run over
- Eyelander no longer forces overheal decay rate to 4x normal on kill
- Scout no longer has a credit magnet effect, and instead instantly picks up credits within his large pickup radius
- Applying sappers to robots now has a change to trigger the unused "sapping a robot" voice lines
- Removed the one-sapper-active-at-a-time restriction (but retained the cooldown bar for sapping robots)
- Additional credit pickup voice lines enabled
- Widowmaker metal-on-hit implemented for tanks (with 33% metal reduction)
- Explosive headshot sound file restored to its pre-July-2015 version
- Explosive headshot audible distance boosted a bit
- Bot carrier mothership sound enabled (volume reduced)
Upgrade station tweaks
- Disposable sentry: increased cap to 3, decreased cost to $300
- Damage (grenade/sticky launcher): increased amount to 25%, decreased cost to $400
- Knockback rage: decreased cap to 1 (levels 2 and 3 do effectively nothing)
Pop file fixes
- Sentry Buster: added "Attributes DisableDodge" to make them stop strafing around like idiots
- Gatebot scouts: re-added Fed-Fightin' Fedora and other missing hats
- Broken Parts and Wave 666: replaced instances of nonexistent hat "Witch Hat" with "The Crone's Dome"
- Giant Heal-on-Kill Heavies: fixed various broken/inconsistent things on the non-gatebot versions
- Giant Heater Heavy: added regular giant heavy damage bonus and fixed some other broken stuff
- Mannslaughter wave 4: fixed a WaveSpawn's TotalCount not matching the number of bots in the squad
- Empire Escalation wave 3: fixed a WaveSpawn's TotalCount not matching the number of bots in the squad
The precise changes made to the popfiles can be viewed on GitHub.
If you have a custom MvM map/mission you'd like to see added, contact me!
Recommended client-side mods
If you want these, you'll need to download and install them yourself. The server is sv_pure 0, so the mods will show up.
- Sentry Buster model (uber and jarate fixes)
- Robot animation fixes (enables all newer/missing animations)
Links to sigsegv's stuff
Message me on Steam, post in the forum thread, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Amazon EC2 cloud server
- Location: US East (Virginia)
- Instance type: t2.micro
- CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 v2 @ 2.50-3.30GHz (1 core; 10% long-term average utilization)
- RAM: 1024 MB
- SSD: 30 GB
- OS: Amazon Linux 2015.03 (64-bit)